The University of South Africa (Unisa in short) is an open learning distance education university head quartered in South Africa and catering to students from all over the world. It is the largest university Africa by mumber of students. Unisa has enrolled as many as 400,000 students at a time. n recent years, the university has however faced registration problems resulting in many would students and current students failing to register correctly.
Unisa was founded on 26 June 1873 and was then called The University of the Cape of Good Hope. The university acted as an incubator for other universities in the country.
In January 2004, Unisa merged with Technikon Southern Africa with the resulting institution maintaining the Unisa name.
- College of Accounting Sciences
- College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences
- College of Economic and Management Sciences
- College of Education
- College of Graduate Studies
- College of Human Sciences
- College of Law
- College of Science, Engineering and Technology
- Graduate School of Business Leadership
- Thabo Mbeki African Leadership Institute
Student Entrance requirements
Students need a school-leaving qualification that would entitle them to enter a university or college in their own country.
In recent years, students have had a hard time registering at the university. it has been reported that the university has rejected a large number of students unjustifiably. Students have also said that the university does not have a proper help desk to assist students with registration problems. In 2019, student bodies led a strike against the university to pressure it to make reforms.
- WATCH: Chaos at Unisa registration as students demand answers, IOL, Published: 7 Jan 2019, 8 Jan 2019